Saturday, February 28, 2009

What happened to first impressions?


What has happened to my easy going calm baby? I think finally now that she is almost 2 weeks old she has let me know that she is a High Need Baby. If you don't know what that is, do an Internet search and there is my little girl. I thought it funny when I read through the characteristics of a High Need baby and it described Hailey to a tee. My first hint should have been how active she was in the womb. I know that she doesn't have colic, but at night now she is so demanding. She will fuss till about 1 or 2 in the morning now and nothing will get her to stay asleep. Sure she will fall asleep while I am holding her upright. But who can sleep sitting up? I am not a horse. So Corey and I took turns with her last night. Corey stayed up till about 1am and then it was my turn to try and calm her till about 3am. Gabe was just like this and so I can only imagine what type of personality she will be unraveling within the next couple of months. Demanding and high strung...YES. It is a good thing that this is our fourth and Corey and I both seem to have developed some patience along the way. Even though I am dead tired by 3am I have to admit she is still just as cute. Speaking of my little bundle of joy, she is just waking up and demanding me once again. They say this will dwindle about 3 months of age.....that seems like a long time away to me.

9 comments:

melissa said...

Avenley used to like to sleep upright so we would buckle her in her carseat and prop it up in her crib and she slept like that every night for a couple months ha Of course I was worried about her head falling over so we got one of those little neck roll things and she slept perfectly. I know that sounds wierd, but she loved her car seat

Becky said...

I did the same thing as Melissa, put the wee little one into a bouncer or car seat, bundle them up tight and let them sleep like that. I always felt slight pains of guilt because my newborn up to 3 month old was sleeping in a seat and not in the cute comfy little cradle we had for her, but sleep always trumped my guilt. Give it a whirl, good luck!

Pepple said...

I am so sorry :( Both of my girls were high needs babies. Have you tried swaddling really tightly? The also slept in the carseat. Can I come to do a night duty? I love rocking babies and would be more than happy to come over and give you guys a few hours of sleep. I am also a late night person, so I don't mind being up late. I would be happy to do it.

Seth and Julie said...

Do you remember Alyssa when we went to Bear Lake? That child was SO needy...she still is. One good thing about super needy babies is that you get lots of time to bond with them.

Anonymous said...

Did you quit using the soy formula? Just wondering. love you. Isn't it weird that I had 5 kids and I can't remember having a baby like that. Maybe I have surpressed those memories - I just don't remember having that problem. Maybe my theory of ultasounds it right!

BeauRollins said...

what is your theory of ultrasounds? Both Avenley and Paisley had ultrasounds at every doctor visit and both were excellent babies. maybe that's why i don't want to push our luck with a third ;)

Becky said...

Hey Kory, hanging in there? I gave you some bloggy love today, the Sisterhood Award. Hang in there, sending love.

Anna Min said...

Does she like a carseat? Go drive around in your new highlander! Thats so cool you got a new car!
I am sorry she's high demand. Jeff is my one and only of those and I'm glad he came last or else I'd really be lost on patience and what to do. I'm sure she's still winning eveyone over though. Good thing they're cute.

Walling Family said...

Both of ours needed to be swaddled or they wouldn't sleep I think Garrett was 8 months old before we could get him to sleep unswaddled. I remember Gabe as a baby.....Good luck =) You will get through this, wish I was closer!