Sunday, June 2, 2013

Last Day of School

Either you are a huge fan of the last day of school or you look forward to it with a sort of dread.  I have to admit I usually hate when summer break rolls around.  I feel like my kids have nothing to do but watch TV and play with electronics all day.  But this year I find myself glad to have them home with me more.  As they are getting older they are more help around the house and I also can relate to them on a personal level now.  Plus I have found a ton of great activities to do with them thanks to Pinterest.  So lets hope with the increased fun that will mean increased pictures and posts as well.
 
We told the kids when their grades come home if they get all A's we will give them an extra 10 dollars with their allowance they get each month.  Last grading period only Gabe brought home straight A's.  But on this last report card of the year all my kiddo's stepped up.  They were all so excited to get extra money this month but I can say dad was not prepared for the sticker shock of good grades.  I think it is well earned, considering I never sit down with them and go through their homework.  If they have questions I do help, but I always tell them it is their assignment and so they need to learn how to complete it.  I hate when kids come in with these immaculate science projects that you know were basically done by the parent.  How are kids supposed to learn to accomplish things on their own this way.  Logan's was not the prettiest, but he did it all on his own and earned an A just like the other ones.  So I was proud of all my kids hard work. 
 Look at those lovely A's....
 
When the kids were in school in MD before we moved here I started the last day of school ice cream.  There was this great creamery there and so every year they looked forward to going.  Here they do have a good ice cream place, but mom was feeling cheap.  So I still took them to ice cream but to Mcdonalds.  I love the 1$ sundae's and the kids love them just as much.  I even got one and enjoyed it with them.  I hope to keep this tradition until they graduate.



 
Don't you just love how I caught the Carmel just oozing out of his mouth here?
 
I also have to mention that we have Stake Conference this weekend and we have been so blessed to have Elder Bednar come and speak to us.  It is a rare experience and all I can say is wow.  You can tell there is such power and authority when he speaks, and he taught us some great things.  I loved it.  I learned so much about agency and our roll with it.  I can say I will never look at it the same and it has made me realize that I need to pray for missionary experiences.  I don't think I have ever talked to a non member about my church, I think because I am worried about how they will react to my beliefs.  I really do hold my religion very personal and sacred and I really get upset when people misjudge my church or me because of it.  But I need to put myself out there more, which is a whole other thing for me.  But what a great thing to be taught by an Apostle of the Lord.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see Gabe is still posing as a gangster!!! They all look so big, just 15 days!!!! The ice cream tradition is a wonderful one. love you

Seth and Julie said...

So jealous! We still have 7 days left. Good job on all those A's. Just don't promise them a puppy for straight A's. Seth made the awful mistake of promising that to our already straight A student and I am still suffering the daily consequences of that promise. I am excited to see all the fun ideas you found for summer. I love summer!

Jenn said...

Gabe looks a little like a "D." ( :
Way to go on the good grades though!!! Awesome kiddos!!! I want to share an ice cream too!
So cool that Elder Bednar came to your stake! He came to the Martinsburg stake right before we left. I totally LOVE him! He gave a talk that changed my life. Along with Elder Holland, they are my favorite!!!
I love the pictures from Mnt. Rushmore! I had no idea is was so close! You look amazing by the way! Are you sure you have 5 kids? When I look at Danni's cheeks I almost want another baby myself! Almost. .
So guess what. . . . the sheik decided to get rid of the expats at Gregg's hospital . . .we're coming back to the good ol USA! Don't ask me where wer're going to live! We will have one last horrah in England to see Gregg's family and then we'll be back home. Again, not sure where home will be . . . Seems to be the story of my life eh! Hopefully we can settle down at least for the next 10 years and get the kids through school. (crossing my fingers) Keep the pictures coming!!! love ya!!!

Unknown said...

Love all of the posts. You are such a good mom.

Sally said...

My kids don't get out until the 13th and I'm dying I am soo ready for relaxed days without a schedule to follow and no homework! I like your ice cream tradition, we just might have to do that this year. Can't wait to see you guys!