Thursday, May 30, 2013

Trip to Mt. Rushmore

I was checking my blog and realized that it has been almost a month since my last post.  I swear living here puts me in a time warp.  I blink and it has been a couple of weeks.  With school almost out I think I will be taking more pictures...lets hope anyways.  I hate that I am so dang flaky about it but sometimes I don't have the luxury to just meander with a camera.  Danni is pretty intense with wanting my time so it is hard to hold her and the camera.
 
So this past Memorial Day weekend we decided to go and see Mt. Rushmore.  Corey keeps telling me what a great opportunity it has been for us to live all over.  We have seen some amazing things this way and so I guess yes that is a up side to moving every couple of years.  We left around 8 and since it is only 3 hours away we got there right around lunch time.  Weather was perfect that day and we had a really good time.  We couldn't check in till 4 so we headed straight to some sites.  There is this place called Cosmos which is located on this small hill side.  The gravity pulls are crazy and you walk on this tour where they demonstrate just how weird it is.  The kids were free so we only had to pay for Corey and I.
 
 Corey is standing up what he thinks is straight.  It was so strange that you felt like you were standing straight up but because of the gravity pull everyone looked like they were standing sideways.  If you notice in all the pictures Hailey was not to fond of it.
 Gabe demonstrating how strong the pull was so he could stand on the wall and lean forward.

 It even made the trees bend all over.
 I was picked for a demo and I was not too thrilled.  I was wondering why Corey was wanting to hold Danni for this tour. 
 Look at those cheeks...I couldn't help but take a picture of that.
 
We made it to Mt. Rushmore as well.  We looked around, but were a little disappointed that there wasn't more.  It only took about 2 hours to see everything.  They only had 1 hiking trail that took you closer to the mountain and it said it was strenuous so I was thinking hardcore hiking.  Man it was just stairs and paved sidewalks the whole way.  I didn't even breath hard and I had Danni strapped to my front.  And if you do notice that Gabe is doing gang signs in all the photos I apologize.  He is going through this homeboy gangster phase right now.  He is too cool for everyone and that includes the camera.  It about drove Corey crazy telling him to knock it off but he always seemed to sneak it in somehow.  I have to laugh at this now because it is just so funny to me.












If you are wondering where the rest of our pictures are that pretty much ended the good, happy streak.  After that it turned into a Chevy Chase vacation as my mom called it.  Got into the hotel and used the toilet only to find the flusher on top of the tank and no towels or soap.  Turns out the room was out of order but they were booked so we had to have that room anyways.  They did comp us 25 bucks but that was all we got.  We went into Rapid City to eat at Wild Buffalo Wings and right when we got into the parking lot Hailey threw up all over herself.  It was everywhere and our clothes were in the hotel room so we had to cancel all our evening plans and go back to the hotel.

Next morning it was pouring rain and was forecast to rain all day.  So we thought we would drive back into Rapid City and find something inside we could do.  As we are driving out of the hotel parking lot the back window just sunk into the door panel.  The regulator went out and our window was stuck in the down position.  The nearest store was 20 miles away so we had to have Gabe hold a towel while we drove on the highway.  And just as a reminder it was pouring.  We got duct tape and plastic and taped the window the best we could.  We had to call it an early day and make the grueling 3 hours drive back with plastic flapping so loud we couldn't even talk to each other.  We made it home safe and didn't get too wet in the process.  At least I can say that it will be a vacation that I will never forget.

And just as an ending and something that I found funny, I found out that my old high school boyfriend has this huge rap sheet in FL for all sorts of stuff.  Drug possession, assault with a weapon, parole violation and the topper attempted strangulation.  I know sounds like a winner right?  Makes me glad that I made better choices after high school and ended up with a true winner.  Love you Corey Scott.

4 comments:

Seth and Julie said...

Yikes! That sounds unforgettable for sure. Sorry it all took a crazy turn but it will be funny in a couple years, right?

We stopped at Mount Rushmore last year after we stayed with you and we really liked it, or maybe my kids were just super happy to get out of the car for awhile. That gravity place looks crazy. Good for you for being a good sport. When they pick me out of the audience I refuse to go up.

Oh and the gang signs from your WY boy...love it! Where do they come up with these funny little phases they go through?

melissa said...

yay Esquibel pictures! :)

that gravity place is crazy! that is really cool that you guys have been able to see so much of the country.

Danni is so cute, I love the chubby cheeks! gabe cracks my up with his cool poses. and I love lexie's socks!

I can't believe the hotel only gave you $25 after all of that! I would be bummed missing out on bww.

funny about your boyfriend, I have a highschool boyfriend who has been in jail a few times and even sent me a letter from jail to my parents house haha yikes!

Anonymous said...

Such cute pictures! This will be a vacation you will always remember. Love the picture of you and Danni. I also love Lexie's dress style. Love you.

Unknown said...

Just look at all of the memories you made. You will laugh about it in the future. Who was the x boyfriend, paul??