Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Independence MO

A couple of weeks before we went to OK my mom called to ask if we wanted to drive up to Independence MO on Friday after the reunion.  We thought it sounded fun and the fact that Corey and I have not been there yet made it even more appealing.  All of us went except for my brother Beau who made previous plans to drive to NC.  So we all trained the cars to MO.  It was so stinking hot with the humidity.  There was a breeze which just felt like getting slapped in the face with a wet hot towel, but it did help a tiny bit.  We went to the Visitor Center first and did the little tour and then did a small walking tour around town with a book my mom had.  It really is so cool to think of our ancestors in that exact spot almost 200 years ago.  Granted we bought a stroller at walmart right before we left and realized when we got there that a wheel was missing.  This made me even more upset with Walmart and I vowed that Target would get my business from there on out.
 
 The original court house built in the later 1700's.  It is still original and in great shape.  The church owns it and we missed the tours though.  Mary Elizabeth Lightner lived here with her family for a little bit.
 Gabe in front of the wood work.
 At the visitor center they had a kids play room.  I know this is a hoop that you run and roll with a stick but Gabe found another great use for it.

 The site of the temple.


 We walked by this old house that was a bed and breakfast.  I loved it....this would be a dream house for me.  Maybe one day.
 This was the spot that our ancestors saved the book of commandments.
 Too cute


2 comments:

Seth and Julie said...

I didn't know you came from Pioneer blood. So does Seth and I think it is so cool to share the stories of their ancestors with the kids. I need to go to Independence. I have lived in Palmyra and Salt Lake and been to Kirtland and Nauvoo but never Independence. Good idea to detour and check it out while you were in the area.

Anonymous said...

And remember, I am "The Most Awesome Grandma EVER!!!!"