Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Harper's Ferry

I took my parents to a battlefield here called Antietam, and we got a tour. Unfortunately it was so stinkin cold and windy that we stayed in the car for our tour and only got out a handful of times to look. It was really interesting and the landscape was unreal. So I will have to go back and take pictures another time. While doing the tour our guide suggested going to Harper's Ferry, a small town that is in a beautiful location. We have heard of Harper's Ferry before, but never thought about going there. So the next day we bundled up and made our way there for the day. Can I just say it was one of the most breathtaking places I have ever been to. I could have just lived there and not left. We are going back again this summer and taking the boys. The Appalachian trail goes right through there and they have restored the old buildings and made them into little shops you can tour and see how things were done around the civil war period. Reminded me of a small Nauvoo. I wish it was warmer but we had to do it in the rain and cold.

You park at the Visitor Center and pay 6 bucks per car. Then they bus you down to the downtown district to walk around. Lexie loved the bus ride by itself.

The pictures don't do it justice, but I took lots of landscape pictures I just couldn't help it.

Lexie and Grandma by the foundation left after troops burned the Artillery during the civil war.
This was where John Brown's hideout was. He was an activist against slavery during the Civil War.

We get this look a lot from Hailey.
These are hand carved stone steps made in the early 1800's. You can still climb them.


This church was burned during the Civil War.
Jefferson Rock




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also want to go back in the warm summer time. Next summer hopefully

Anonymous said...

Are you and Corey "making out"?