Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Had High Expectations...Really I did

What is that I hear....I believe it is violin music. Yes this could turn into a pity party for myself, so reader beware. Corey and I are having our 10 year anniversary on the 12th of this month, plus in August I am turning the big 30. So I guess I could chalk all this up to a mid life crisis. I would have assumed that after ten years of all this hard work we would be further along with our lives. But as I sit back and look at our tiny tiny house (trust me it is small) and our four kids sometimes I feel like we are trapped here. Corey is almost done with his MBA and with the economy being so crappy who knows how long it will be before he gets that much deserved raise that will also raise us out of this house. Most of the young couples in our ward have beautiful houses and then I get to come home to my "classic" 1978 stone house that seems to be slowly falling apart. I keep telling myself I should just be happy that Corey still has a job. Which I truly am, but I don't want to get too positive too quick here. I really should have finished my BA, but I keep stopping because I really hate going to school and trying to balance the kids and everything else. So I guess now that I am turning 30, I feel like I have not accomplished hardly anything to look back on.

I did plan on keeping the kids busy this summer. I bought pool passes and I also got a zoo membership so we could keep out of the house. Well you know me and I have my scheduled days all set. Of course today was our zoo day and I look out this morning to find this staring at me...


Oh the rain, which we haven't had in a week or so, but still to rain on my zoo day. How dare you Mother Nature. So how are we spending this gloomy morning...


Lexie is curled up in my unmade bed and watching cartoons. She looks more like a little burrito instead of a little girl...(oh and thank you Lexie for getting lost yesterday and sending me into a fright. I thought I might have to call the police, but thank goodness she finally showed up.)


Hailey is off to a good start with her morning cry/poop. yes they go hand in hand it seems. But after she gets it over with she is happy usually for the rest of the day.


And the good old boys doing what they do best...playing Xbox on dad's big TV. I guess the apple really doesn't fall too far from the tree in this instance.
Ok, now I feel better. Let's hope that on Friday it will be nice so we can go out and do something fun.....or even tomorrow would be nice for a pool day.



8 comments:

Pepple said...

I am sorry you are having a rough time! I totally get in the mood sometimes too. Just think of the beautiful children you have. What an amazing accomplishment that is! If it makes you feel better this is the first non-crappy house we have lived in and Chris is way older than 30. It does get better, promise!

Seth and Julie said...

I had a moment like that a few years ago. Then one day I saw a story about a lady who walked heavy furniture into town from her little village in Africa. She was barefoot and worked 12 plus hours a day for 25 cents. That has always stayed with me...huge reality check.

I realized that I didn't care about keeping up anymore. My house is small too and even though I want to upgrade no one will buy this one in this crap economy, but no worries it is my home. We can eat, sleep, laugh and love here just as well as our friends in the big houses do.

You have done lots Kory. You living righteously and you're raising 4 kids. That is what we are here for. A college degree is not a prerequisite to get into heaven.

Keep your head up!

Anonymous said...

You seem to forget the fact that you have a great husband and have done a wonderful job of raising your children. To me that is the best accomplishment of all. Also you are a great daughter! I'd say that was quite a bit!

melissa said...

I think you are very accomplished. Having 4 kids and staying home is pretty impressive! I always feel the same about all these young couples having big new houses, but I'm just glad we were able to get a house at all!

Sally said...

Did you end up going to the zoo today? We braved the pool because the kids begged but of course they were freezing. We need to have a back up plan next time in case it rains.

ps. You guys have really done a lot with your house to make it cute even if it is small. Sometimes when I start wishing we had a nicer house I have to stop and remind myself what our house use to look like.

The Thompson Family said...

Oh Kory Jane, You have a wonderful life. I would love to have your house! You have a wonderful husband and four beautiful kids. You have also been married in the temple and that is one of the greatest accomplishments we can achieve. I love you sis.

Quin's momma said...

OK Kory- I never comment on your blog, even though I blog stalk you pretty often. If it makes you feel any better- you could be me. There, I've said it- THAT thought right there should do it for ya.

I NEVER thought I'd be 33, and in the place where I am. I always thought I'd be married, my wonderful husband and I wonderful husband and I would have a nice house and we'd be working hard to raise our children together to be obedient, God-fearing persons.

Instead, I'm 33, I live with my mom because there is absolutely NO WAY I could afford to live on my own. I've had to go back to school and get a degree different than what I already have. The degree I got the first time around is absolutely worthless (that makes me feel so smart). I have to get another degree because I have to support my daughter & myself because there is no one that wants to help me. I have a child whose father is a complete waste of oxygen, and NO ONE wants me- that is why I am single. I have yet to figure out what the problem with me is- but obviously it's pretty big & obvious to everyone except me, hence the reason I've made it this far & never even been engaged.....which makes me feel even worse for my precious little baby girl. SO....just wanted to make you feel better...you COULD be me! (These are the things that go through my mind every single day.)

Quin's momma said...

Oh- also wanted to tell you I think you're doing a wonderful job with your kids, you seem to make a wonderfully cozy home, your kids love you, you've been married in the temple, you & your husband have a mutually supportive & respectful relationship, your family attends church together and you have accomplished much! :-)