Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Bread Bowls and Tomato Soup

I made this for dinner tonight and I just have to share with everyone. These are the best bread bowls and so easy to make. My friend Christy made them for us one time and I stole the recipe from her. I found this tomato soup recipe in a new cookbook I bought. It is so creamy and good. All my kids ate it and even asked for seconds. Give them a try together for the best dinner ever.

Bread Bowls

5 1/4 c. Bread flour (I used all purpose and mine turned out fine as well)
1/4 c. Sugar
1/2 TB salt
1 1/2 TB rounded of instant yeast
2 c. Hot tap water

Mix dry ingredients. Add water and mix for 1 minute then check consistency. If too dry add a little more water, if too sticky add a little more flour. Mix for five minutes. Spray pan and counter and separate and form into loaves or whatever you are making with the bread. Let raise for about 25 minutes. Cook in a 350 degree oven for around 25 minutes. I had to cook a little longer on mine.


Tomato Bisque

10 oz container of Alfredo Sauce of your choice
1 C. chicken or vegetable broth
1 1/2 C. whole milk (I used 1 percent instead)
2 (14oz) cans diced tomatoes undrained
1/2 ts. dried basil leaves
1/4 ts. dried marjoram leaves


whisk together with wire whisk in a heavy pan Alfredo Sauce and broth. Whisk until smooth. Add milk and stir. Cook over medium heat for about 2 to 3 minutes.

Puree tomatoes in a blender or food processor until smooth. Add to saucepan along with seasonings and stir well. Heat soup over medium heat stirring frequently until mixture comes to just a simmer. Enjoy.


Since our kids eat tons of this I doubled mine. The original recipe calls for onions which I opted out of. I don't hate onions but they sure hate my husband. And I enjoy kissing him on occasion when he is not reeking of onions or garlic.

1 comment:

Seth and Julie said...

That sounds yummy. Soup in a breadbowl is my favorite so I will definitely try it. Thanks!