Friday, March 1, 2013

Parents Worst Nightmare...


I really need to post something positive huh?  Well this will not be it.  Hailey came home with a cold the end of last week and I tried so hard to keep Danni away and to have everyone wash.  But as much as a tried poor little Danni got the bug from Hailey.  She started with this little cough and she never had a fever so I thought she would be ok.  But on the 2nd day her cough turned into a raging storm of hacking that sounded like she had gunked up lungs.  Still no fever but I called and got her in anyways.  My Ped. said she wanted to do a RSV swab just in case.  Well I can't say I wasn't to surprised when she came back telling me it was positive.  I felt sick really, because I have heard horror stories about RSV.

It has been 4 days since symptoms set in and it has been horrible.  She coughs and it sounds horrible.  She has labored breathing and of course endless mucus.  I am lucky that she is still eating well and she sleep pretty good.  I took her 2 days in a row to the Dr and both times her O2 stats were good and still no fever.  So they told me I could take her home.  Now from one point of view I am grateful because we don't need another hospital stay in our financial future and plus who likes to leave their babies at the hospital and come home empty handed.  But another part of me wishes they would have admitted her.  I am sick with worry all night and all day.  It would take the burden off if she was monitored by nurses and Dr's.  I always worry I will miss something and then there could be horrible consequences.

I was told the worst of it was over in 5-7 days so I figure if we can just last through the weekend then it should get better.  I just thought I should blog this so I don't forget how horrible it is to have such a small baby who is so sick.  I really wouldn't wish this on anyone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too, will be so thankful when this is over. She looks miserable in her picture. You will be the "saline-suction" queen when this is over. I am so thankful for priesthood blessings and grandpa's direct line to heaven. Remember, she is being watched over. I am proud of you Kory Jane, you have done a wonderful job!

Seth and Julie said...

So sorry! That is the scariest thing. My youngest got sick two days after her birth and ended up in the hospital 4 times in her first month (maybe that is why I never had another one?)and then even dumb things went wrong on top of that, like pink eye and her umbilical cord refusing to heal and having to be cauterized. It was so stressful to watch such a young child suffer and so so frightening. I hope Danni is on the mend now and that you have found peace and strength through this as well.