Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Run Follow Up

I realized that if I write a post about being freaked about my run, I had better follow up and do a quick post how it went. I know for those who look at Facebook you probably already have a sense of my adventure. I mean with eleven miles to go there was bound to be some sort of obstacle.

I started out pretty well. I will say I probably drank a little too much before hand. I did go to the bathroom right before I stepped out of the door. I always do and I felt no different. I have to say that running in MD is a joy compared to OK. There is so much vegetation and green and hills and beauty everywhere. Plus we live way up north of town so I have lots of running options that are out in the country. I LOVE IT. It makes running that much more enjoyable. Well around mile 4 I got the urge to pee. Now usually if you hold it long enough the urge will go away. But not this time. The longer I ran the worse it got and if you are running it is hard as you get jarred from every step to hold it in. I had been reading online about marathon running and certain experiences that people had written about. I read A LOT of post about people who just peed in their pants mid run. I turned my nose while I was reading and I defiantly wanted to throw up when I read that some even pooped as well.

Well around mile 5 I just couldn't hold it anymore. There were not facilities anywhere, the highway I was running on was lined with barbed wire fencing with nice NO TRESPASSING signs everywhere. Unlike males I couldn't discreetly pee on the side of the road. So I had to use the option I saw online. I just let it go. Granted I didn't do it all in one big spurt, I would let a little out till I felt better and this would continue for about a mile or so. I can't tell you how much better I felt afterwards. I dried pretty fast and I forgot all about it till I got home and I got a whiff of myself.

The run itself went really well. I felt awesome till around mile 10 when I realized the route I mapped online was actually a dead end road and not a thru route. So I had to backtrack which was frustrating in itself. I only had to tack on an extra half a mile because of it, but every bit hurts when you go that long. I realized that no matter what I am ready for that half in a couple of weeks. I am so ready to kick some trash.

And Thor, if you read this I did get some energy beans at my running store and I will have them at the ready to give me those extra bursts that I need.

4 comments:

Thor'sblog said...

Good job Kory you are going to kick butt!

The Thompson Family said...

I agree you did great. I probably would have stopped and peed on the side of the rode regardless of the no trespassing signs but I have heard the same things about hard core runners. I guess you are officially a hard core runner. You will do great. Love you!

Seth and Julie said...

I would have used the bladder, or any other excuse I could have thought of, to QUIT! You have earned your runners merit badge. I have lots of runner friends who have confessed to doing the same thing, and much worse. Worse than the poo even (think feminine issues). I am pretty sure I couldn't do it, but I am also VERY sure I couldn't run a half marathon so I say kudos to you!

Anonymous said...

I thought I potty trained you at age 2!!!