Sunday, November 15, 2009

Kick in the Seat....Get Going

So last Friday we went to a training meeting in Frederick for the women's auxiliaries for our ward. I did not realize that so many people from all over this area were driving to this one particular meeting. I was so glad that I went. Sister Dalton, the president of the General Young Women's from Salt Lake came and trained the YW presidencies from the surrounding wards. It was an amazing experience. I have to say I was so enthralled with what she was saying I didn't realize that almost two hours had passed. I haven't been in YW here for very long, but it certainly made me want to try harder at getting to know the girls and go the extra mile. It was a great experience for me and she made such a great impression on me personally. I remember that she was up on the stand waiting to talk to us and we by some miracle got up in the front of the room. She looked right at me and then she gave me this genuine smile. It was a little thing, but it made such a big impression on me.

I don't know if this experience fueled my enthusiasm, but I have been wanting to do a half marathon for awhile now. I guess I have been putting it off because I realize once I do this then I have only the marathon to consider. I get a little spooked out. I also didn't realize that here in MD there are crazy runners everywhere. They even have a 50 mile race in this area. You have 12 hours to finish. Now that is extreme. So I registered yesterday for a half marathon in May. This gives me ample time to get ready. Then if I am feeling extra ambitious I think I will go for the full marathon in Baltimore in October of next year. The only thing left after that is the good old triathlon that I really really want to do, but I have to afford a road bike first which are way out of our price range right now. I figure I need to do this now before I get too old to do it, or too caught up in what is going on here. I start actual training in December so I will keep everyone updated. If you don't really care to read about my trainings, then I won't be offended if you skip those certain posts.

And on an ending note, Corey is being called to talk with the bishopric today to get a calling extended. It is about time I say. We are anxious to know what it is. I will have to let you know as soon as I find out.

3 comments:

britta said...

Go for it!!! You will do great!
Good luck in the training for your half!
You don't need a road bike for a tri. There are plenty of people who use there good ol' mountain bikes. Don't put off your tri until you get a better bike. Especially if you are doing a sprint distance it won't matter, I promise!

Thor'sblog said...

I am running my 1/2 in March in Moab but Im not going to the full. I work with about 10 people who do 100 milers. one is called the word of wisdom run. They go from Ogden temple to Provo stopping at others on the way. They are insane!!!

The Thompson Family said...

Good for you Kory Jane. I know you can do it. One day you can do a triathlon. I know you will. I would definitely get a road bike though. They are much easier to ride and tons faster. It would be killer on a mountain bike. I know not now but in the furture look on Craig's list. You can get used road bikes for much cheaper. Love you!