Friday, November 20, 2009

Have I Finally Grown Up?

I have known for awhile now that I needed to change some things about myself. I really realized it after we moved here and I have had ALOT of alone time. So I have really worked on reading my scriptures, studying and praying and doing everything I can as a member of the YW Presidency here in MD. I can tell a world of difference. I don't get upset as much over petty things. I can step back and get an over all view instead of charging ahead full blast. I have met some amazing people here in MD. Even my favorite instructor at the YMC has taught me some stuff about myself. My friend Cynthia has also taught me that as an adult we need to stop getting snubbed by everyone else. As she said, we are not in high school anymore. I know you are all wondering where in the world this is going....

Just today on Facebook there was a comment made to one of my friends to the other. I won't go into details because it really isn't important what was said. But in the end both sides got feelings hurt and of course on Facebook you have everyone else making nasty comments to one another as well. Before you know it basically the whole ward and people who I don't even know had something to say to either one or the other. I was shocked at how horrible this got out of control. I tried to just post a non related comment that had nothing to do with the argument. But then I get an email on Facebook from one of the parties basically saying "thanks for sticking up for me friend" (enter sarcasm here). I have to admit maybe a month ago I would have looked at this and been really offended. I thought I was really good friends with this person. Just because I didn't lower myself to say nasty things to people I also got some harsh comment directed my way. But I honestly don't feel offended. (I know mom, don't fall out of your chair.) I was hurt yes, but more than that I was sad. Sad that the women of my old ward were displaying such hurtful behavior for all the world to see. How are we supposed to lift each other up with such hurtful behavior. I think part of growing up is learning to not be offended and just try to make peace. I don't know if both of these people will read this or not, but I truly hope this gets solved. We need each other right now. With so much going on, with so many people with trials who need support we should be banding together and not hurting each other. You can bet that Satan is having a ball with this whole thing. Stirring up contention....after all "contention is of the devil."

I was sad when we were going to move at first, but I can say that the Lord knew that I needed this to get myself going. I know a lot is expected of me and I needed to grow. What better way then to make you start over and look at things differently. I can honestly tell you that the Gospel is so wonderful and amazing and I am so grateful everyday that I have it in my life.

5 comments:

modern myrtle home said...

Thanks for the reminder why I deleted my facebook account long ago. Too much drama.

I am so glad to hear you are doing so well! The Lord really knows what he's doing when he directs us to make changes in our lives, big and small.

Seth and Julie said...

I have stayed out of the whole Facebook craze and you have just strengthened my resolve to stay out.

Moving away is good for soul searching, and relying on Heavenly Father. Also, I know everyone makes fun of me for being in my 30's but I noticed that the closer that I got to 30, the more I became comfortable in my own skin and could let go of drama and hurt feelings. I am happy with me, even with my flaws and quirks. It is a good place to be. I am glad to hear you are experiencing some positive growth because really life is too short for losing sleep over snide comments made online.

Way to take the high road. Let them lose sleep if they need to, while you are cozily dreaming away.

Anonymous said...

I love you Kory Jane and I am so very, very, very proud of you!!!!

Thor'sblog said...

Thats right Kory Jane we decide what out reaction will be. I am so glad that you are big enough to control this. keep reading and praying as this is the key. I love you very much.

The Thompson Family said...

Good for you Kory Jane. I always like moving to new places. I love you and we're excited you have us for Christmas!