Sunday, November 8, 2009

Forces Were Against Me

I am not a superstitious person....not by a long shot. But today I actually felt like I was getting some bad Karma dumped upon me at church. I should have known it would be rough with the boys already have UFC smack down in the back seat on the way to church. Corey was gone, went to get our new car from my folks in OK. So I went to church alone. I threatened the boys to lose the TV in their room so I thought my worries were over. Little did I know the real culprit would be my innocent 8 month old. Hailey has had a cold the past couple of days and a little moody, but nothing a little holding couldn't take care of. Church started and the kids also started out great.

They colored after Sacrament and beside the usual loud whisper across the pew I was going to make it. Well I fed Hailey her bottle and then she got super sleepy. Well she decided she didn't want to go to sleep in my arms and instead wanted to pull my necklace off my neck. I would take it out of her mouth as she was choking me and each time she would scream in terror. Then out of no where she goes ballistic. I think this was her official first throw down fit. She was throwing her body back and screaming at the top of her lungs. Right when the speaker was trying to get his point across. Then of course Lexie is sitting on the floor screaming and crying as well about her finger. I am sure my pew looked like it was going to explode and I was throwing some sort of party in there. I tried to sooth Hailey with her pacifier and even tried standing her up but nothing was working. With Corey not there, I can't just leave three small children unattended in the pew while I walk out for who knows how long. So I just looked at the kids and told them to get up and lets go. I was so embarrassed about two of my kids screaming their heads off that I Beelined for the back doors. Logan was such a great son and picked up all the crayons and the paper and followed me a little behind.

I put all the kids in the car and went home. I know I should have stuck it out, but I was so frustrated and upset and I needed to cry in private. I did not want a bunch of strangers seeing me struggle with my four kids. I didn't want to be one of those mom's that can't handle what she did to herself. But after driving the 20 minutes home I was calmed down and back to myself. And Hailey was asleep. The kids looked scared and asked if they were in big trouble. I guess I looked pretty manic getting out of there. But I told them they were not in trouble. But I did have a little chat with Lexie about screaming and throwing a fit during church all over a small paper cut. If only the little chat would have worked on Hailey. Then I think I would have been set.

8 comments:

Seth and Julie said...

You get points from me just for getting 4 kids dressed and to church alone. We have a few single moms in our ward and I am in awe of what they do each week. We can barely make it through sacrament meeting with both parents.

Anonymous said...

Next time take socks - they work great as stuffers! (J/K) You can also dry your tears with them and blow your nose in them.

Brad and Emily said...

I'm sorry that happened to you. I can totally sympathize. It's even worse when you are in a new ward and you don't know anyone. These days if Brad is not around, I don't even think about going to church alone.

Lisa said...

Bless your heart! I have been there and I know those panic moments so well. You did great I'm sure. I have ripped my kids out of church and taken them home and made them watch GEneral Conference on the computer before too! You are blessed just for trying! Keep it up Super Mom!

The Thompson Family said...

If you were at our ward it would be totally normal. Usually when one kids starts crying it sets the whole sacrament meeting off. I'm proud of you going and you got to take the sacrament. If I was there I would watch your kids for you. Love you!

Pepple said...

Major kudos to you for even attempting to go by yourself with 4 kids! I know I have had moments like that where I look like the crazy mom on the verge of breaking down as I drag my kids to the car.

Walling Family said...

I would have done the same thing...except I don't know if I would have been able to hold the tears back.
Good job Kory!

Sally said...

You just make the rest of us feel normal. I don't think I would have gone to church at all these last few months if your mom wasn't there to help me.