Friday, October 16, 2009

Whispers on the Wind

I guess growing up I never ever thought that five kids was a lot. We didn't seem packed in when at home. I never sensed my mom going crazy with all of us at the store. I really didn't give it a second thought. If we lived in UT or ID we would seem like a small family or average. Even in OK I never got too many stares. Oh but I wish you could see me here in MD.

Usually I go grocery shopping when the boys are in school. Even with the two girls I get comments like "Man you have your hands full." In my mind I am thinking they have no idea. Well this week with the kids out of school it just so happens that I had to go grocery shopping with all four. I forget as I wheel that basket around with kids hanging all over it that this is not normal for this area. And boy do I get the looks. There are many kinds of looks. Curiosity, bewilderment, understanding, confusion and my favorite is the horror look. Walking into the store behind a young couple with one little baby in the basket, the woman looks back at me looks at her husband and makes a comment about can you imagine having that many kids? His answer is a laugh and no. I have to admit my kids do fairly well weaving in and out of the crowded aisles. I do tend to spend more money when I have the boys. My basket seems to grow items I don't notice till check out and by then I am just about ready to do anything to just get my stuff and go.

I love how you can tell where I have been because of the spit up puddles all over the floor. Hailey just seems to spit up a lot in those grocery carts. I do bring a rag, but after so many times it really does no good. I feel so sorry for whoever has to mop the store when I am done. I also had to stand in line for the flu shot at the grocery store. With all four, I also got more snickers than the horror look. The gentleman behind me was very helpful and help me maintain my kids a little bit. Telling them he was going to hold them down and give them a bunch of shots if they didn't be good. The older man in front of me went and got a cart so I didn't have to hold Hailey the whole time. And as you would know, I finally get to the front to just find out in MD kids under 9 can't get flu shots outside of a clinical setting. What??? All this fuss about getting your kids flu shots and you can't even get them done unless you go to the Dr.? I thought that was pretty dumb. So did Gabe, who told the guy with the clipboard just that. Usually I correct him, but I agreed with him so I let it slide.

But for the most part people are very kind and comment on how well behaved my kids are and how well I manage a brood that big in the store. I have learned to choose my battles, and I might annoy people around me but at this point I don't care. As long as I can get my stuff done and get home in one piece I feel like I have made an accomplishment.

5 comments:

Seth and Julie said...

We had six growing up and I agree with you...I thought it was no big deal. Now with only 3 I feel like the old woman who lived in the shoe whenever I go out. Just getting everyone in and out of the car is exhausting. I am glad the Mormon family has shrunk over the years because I COULD NOT handle 6 kids. If you survived the store with all four you deserve a date or something.

britta said...

I have exeperienced exactly what you are talking about since moving to southern CA. Good luck to you!!! People at the most typically have 1-2 kids here if they have any. Makes me feel like a re-producing rabbit with 3. Hope you are doing good in your new town!

Sally said...

I had to take all three of my kids plus the three Gardine kids to the store last week and you should have seen the looks I was getting. One guy was even brave enough to say "I sure hope your babysitting." I probably should have told him no.

What happened to doing a day of pictures? It actually made my day a little more fun.

The Thompson Family said...

What an awesome Mom you are and you do have some great kids. Good for Gabe speaking up :-) Love you!

Anna Min said...

Good for you, Kory. I try to block out the bad memories and hold to the good comments I've had...a guy in Durango told me (back when I had three kids)..."Look at you! Good for you! Three kids! Have more!"
...not the memories about screaming children, the "bully" comment about Alyvia, the "can you please control...bla bla bla"...
Yeah, I'm still working on the blocking out...
They're good kids and we're lucky:)