Friday, February 8, 2013

Danni Renee Esquibel

 
Welcome to the family Danni Renee Esquibel
 
 
 

Danni was born on February 6th 2013 at 3:16pm.  She weighed 7lbs 9oz and was 20 inches long.  I went in with expectations of coming away feeling empowered and able.  It did not turn out that way.

I decided not to do pain meds this time and try to do it natural.  I read up on it for months preparing myself and trying to learn as much as possible.  At 40 weeks I still had no contractions so I was scheduled for an induction.  I could tell I was close, but for some reason my body was being stubborn.  So I went in and all my Dr. did was break my water.  I started having good contractions and I have to admit they were bearable at first.  I got all the way to 8cm and was thinking this was going to be a piece of cake.  Well if you have had a baby you know once you reach this point, it is a point of no return for pain meds.  I stayed at about an 8 for 2 hours and my dr. said to just give me a pinch of pit to get things going.  For about 15 minute the contractions were hard and raw and hurt so bad.  I could feel my body trying to get Danni down but nothing was happening.  We later learned why.

Finally I was completely dilated and was told to start pushing.  I did and I was pushing through the contraction because it was hurting less to push through them.  Once the Dr. had a visual he told me to stop pushing.  He said when she started coming out all he saw was a face.  Which if you look up is face presentation.  So he had to push her back in with forceps and correct her over extended head.  Well she was also coming face up so I had to try and push her out that way also.  I just remember yelling at the dr that I was pushing and she wasn't coming out.  I could feel her right there and I just couldn't get her past that last bit.  He finally had to put the vacuum on her head to help me.  Corey said he will never forget watching the tearing as she was coming out.  He described it as opening a band-aid wrapper. 

I have to admit this was the most painful thing I have ever gone through.  I would take the epidural next time for sure.  My dr. assured me if she came out like she was supposed to, I would have delivered her hours earlier and with ease.  But all I can do is think about the pain and feeling helpless to get her out of my body.  She is so beautiful though and she is healthy and strong.  No problems with her spine even though her head was extended to her back coming out.  I feel so blessed as this could have turned out horribly wrong.  

If you look at the picture you can see all the bruising she had to her face.  She looks more like a boxer than a sweet baby.  But she has a very mild temperament unless you don't let her nurse when she wants.  Breastfeeding is work and I won't deny I have thought about just going formula but I know it will be worth it to stick it out.  But we are so thankful for her sweet spirit and how much she will add to our family.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow, I can't even imagine going through that. you are so brave! Rone was face up too and we think that is why I had false labor for so long. I'm glad your both okay. Danni is gorgeous of course! I love her hair and her cute little lips! Good luck on the recovery!

Unknown said...

She is absolutely beautiful Kory. I wish I could hold her. I am so glad everyone is healthy and doing well. Stick with the breast feeding. You can do it. :-)

Seth and Julie said...

First of all, CONGRATS! She is darling and I think this one actually looks more like her momma than your other girls, but really they are all cute.

SO sorry to hear of all the complications. I had two of mine face up but I have never even heard of them coming face first with their necks back. Ouch, for both of you. I am happy to hear that you are both recovering well. I guess on the bright side...after all that breastfeeding is going to be a piece of cake.

Sally said...

I'm sorry the delivery didn't turn out as you were hoping. But I'm happy for you that she is here and healthy. Can't wait to meet her in June!