Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Election Thoughts

Aww here we go.  A place to really write my thoughts down and get them off my chest.  Yesterday I knew before going to vote what the outcome would be.  I could just feel it in the air.  Facebook didn't help either.  But I went anyway and voted.  I knew living in Wyoming my personal vote probably wouldn't account for much besides knowing I did my duty to America the best I could.  If we elected by popular vote I might be more motivated to get out there, but as is it depresses me immensely.

I had a hard time watching the results as key state after key state was tinted blue, and I know I get worked up over little things that I shouldn't.  I can't even say I was mad or yelling at the T.V.  I was just melancholy and just felt this deep sense of loss and felt alone.  Now being pregnant I am sure doesn't help.  My moods are magnified by 100 so what normally would have been something just upsetting turned into slumped over depression for me.  I tried to think positive and yes even now just thinking on how I felt bring tears to my eyes.  But I did the only thing I knew how to do that would bring some sort of peace.  I took hold of my scriptures and just started reading.  I finished the Book of Mormon a couple of days ago and thought I would start in on the New Testament.  So I started in Matthew.  I got to the Sermon on the Mount and I found some great verses that helped me realize I needed to leave things up to God.  And I needed to pray for my enemies.  Now Obama is not really my enemy per say, but I felt like he wasn't going to fix some things that needed to be fixed.  So after reading I got down on my knees and just prayed.  Prayed for comfort, prayed for understanding and I even prayed that Obama would listen to that light of Christ and do what was best for the whole country and not just personal gain or agenda.  I have to admit I slept like a baby last night and I felt at peace.

Then this morning on Facebook was like a boxing match that was trying to get my dander up again.  I was starting to feel myself slumping again reading all the negatives.  Then I came across a post from the First Presidency (here) and once again I felt at peace.  These men are inspired leaders of God and as long as we follow them and heed them we will be fine.  They ask us to do what I did last night, pray for our leaders.  So I encourage everyone, whether you won or not to please pray for our leaders.  It will not only help them, but will help you find peace.

3 comments:

melissa said...

I know what you mean. This year I actually did feel motivated to vote. I felt like maybe MY vote really would matter in a state that is divided. I didn't watch TV last night as the votes were being tallied. Too much torture, but I was sad to wake up to the news that Obama had won.

Sad to feel like America will never be a conservative, majority Christian Nation ever again. It's wierd to feel like "we" are minorities.

But, life goes on. We just have to have faith that everything will be okay. Even for us Middle classers.

In God We Trust.

Seth and Julie said...

Ack! Right there with you and I am not even pregnant.

Sally said...

I was sad last night but not as upset as most. I feel like the best thing I can do right now is focus on my family and making sure I teach my children correct principles and to have faith. That's really all I can do.