Tuesday, October 9, 2012

A Mother's Influence

This post is all about THIS article.  I have to say it came to me at a very opportune moment for me.  In fact I would say it was meant for me but that sounds really Corny.  Here is the background: So I told my mom I was going to throw away  my scale because I have become fanatical about weighing myself.  It would determine my mood for the day.  So I put it out in the big green trash bin and left it there for a couple of days.  Thursday night (the night before trash comes) I snuck, yes I am a little ashamed, out and dug in our trash to get the scale out.  I just couldn't throw it away.  So I hid it in the garage and would go out in the morning before my run to weigh.  I thought I was being sneaky although I did confess to my Mom.  Corey was changing oil and guess what he found....yep my scale.  He just thought it was ridiculous that I couldn't throw it away.  I told him I would be good and not weigh that often. 

I made it a week and then last night I caved and weighed.  Let us just say I was not happy with the outcome.  I put on more pounds than I would have liked and it set me into my depression mode.  Corey sensed it right away and I know he struggles with how to deal with me.  In fact on his phone I found an alert that told him to throw my scale away.  So when I was on Facebook this morning I found a post from one of the YW I used to teach in Tulsa.  She had found the 10 day YW challenge for loving yourself.  I clicked on it and can I just say it was what I needed.  The articles just say what needs to be said about our society and our view on beauty.

After reading I felt somewhat ashamed that I was grouped in with that bunch.  And with this new self awareness I had a lunch group today and guess what every single woman there said during that two hour period?  Yep, at least once all said they were either fat and needed to lose weight, needed to exercise and drop some pounds or that they couldn't eat lunch because they were on a strict diet.  I found it ironic that the article proved so true.  I can't do it justice by quoting all the wonderful things I read so I just would recommend that everyone read this. 

I do know that I have a husband who continually puts up with me and has told me from the first day of our marriage how beautiful I am.  I need to listen to those who love me instead of the media and the world on what the definition of beautiful really is.

4 comments:

Anna Min said...

Thank you for sharing something so personal..."what is personal is general"...my sister shared this link and it seems a bit in line with what you shared and I thought you might like. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/allison-tate/mom-pictures-with-kids_b_1926073.html

Seth and Julie said...

My weight has never really fluctuated and still I have had body image issues all my life as most women do. I grew up being told it was VERY important to be pretty, skinny and popular and it made me way too self conscious. It was not until I was 30 that I stopped weighing and stopped thinking about how I look. It sounds like you have a mom and husband who think you are perfect and who love and encourage you....listen to them. They are right! Good luck. I know this is not an easy battle to fight but you can do it.

Anonymous said...

I love you Kory Jane.

Sally said...

Corey is right, you are beautiful! It's amazing how skewed our perceptions on how we look can get. It happens to all of us. Pregnancy makes it worse though, so just remember that you will have a waist again someday!