Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Memorial Day Weekend

First I wanted to start off with the fact that I was taught a really good lesson this weekend while visiting my brother Thor in Utah.  We were there while Home Teachers came over and he talked about the importance of journals.  This made me feel very guilty for the fact that I have been horrible about it.  And what better way to do this than to blog?  So I feel a determination to do better if anything so I can get this blog printed off eventually and have them for my kids and their kids to read.

On Friday we took off right after the kids got out of their last day of school.  It was a half day so it worked out perfect.  Corey took half a day off as well and we loaded up and drove to Utah.  I have to say that 6 hours driving through Wyoming is not the most scenic route, but it is so much closer than we used to be and it was so worth it.  We arrived at my brother's house about 7:30 and had time to eat and basically talk for a couple of hours.  The kids hit it off right away and they played until bedtime.

Saturday we woke up early and Thor and Corey joined me for a run.  I was so impressed with both guys for their endurance.  We pushed each other and got a good time in.  Corey can be super competitive and there was no way I was going to slow down for him.  The weather was pretty crappy that day.  Cold and windy and rainy.  I think it followed us from Wyoming.  We attempted to hit the airshow at Hill Airforce base but by the time we parked and walked and went through the metal detectors it started getting really cold and windy.  We tried to huddle in the airplane hanger but decided we should just call it quits.  So as we are walking the long distance back to the car the clouds and wind let loose and we get drenched.  There was not a dry part on any of us.  And the since everyone else wanted to leave at the same time we spend an hour and a half driving 1 mile to get out of there.  I didn't take my camera because I was scared of it getting wet, and I was sure glad I didn't.  We decided to hang out at the mall for a bit and then we went to my Aunt Becky and Uncle Craigs for a BBQ.  I got to see all of Becky's kids and it was so much fun.  We also got to see Grandma and Grandpa Wilcox.  We ate so much good food and played soccer with this huge yellow lawn ball.  We played for like two hours and had the best time.  Although at some point all the little kids got hurt.  I think everyone was pretty sore the next day.  I didn't get pictures of this either because I was playing.

Sunday we drove down to see my Grandma Rollins who we haven't seen in awhile.  It was so good to see her and spend some time with her.  She is such a sweet lady and loves her family.  And all 120 something of her great grandchildren.

After Grandma we drove up to see Jordan (Corey's Brother) and he made us lunch.  It was so delicious.  The kids had fun chasing all 5 of their dogs around the house.  We went back to Thor's and had dinner and just lounged with a movie.  We were exhausted.

On Monday Corey was determined to go golfing, so he took off with Thor, Craig and Jordan and left us to our own devices.  The park was in order.  It was a much nicer day than the past two.  I know my mom thinks I favor Gabe because I have lots of pictures of him, but he is just so fun to photograph.  He makes the best faces.  He was really fun on the swing.

They had ducks and all sorts of bird as well.  Jenn was prepared and brought lots of bread.  It was gone in no time.

Gabe decided to use some not appropriate language this past weekend and so I took some of his privileges away.  This was a picture of him afterwards.  He was not so fun to photograph.

The kids played for awhile and it was not too crowded for a Utah park.  I was so tired of all the people though by the third day.  I was almost ready to get back to the slow pace of little Douglas.  Funny how we get used to things.

Lexie loved the piano.  She really wants to learn to play but we can't get one until we get the basement finished so we can move stuff down there to make room for it.  I am pretty sure she will be a great pianist when she does start.

And of course what could a night be without some Call of Duty Online.  Thor pulled this little bench out and he and Corey sat on it while they played.  It looked so cute I had to snap a picture.

 Before we knew it, we had to get back for Corey to go to work the next day.  We were sad to leave our family and Thor is such a great guy to be around you really do miss him the second you are gone.  I call him my big teddy bear and no one can give a hug as well as he can.  I should take him to the mall and charge for hugs and the funny thing is I think I would make a killing off of it.  Hopefully we will be able to make it down more often. 


melissa said...

Looks like you had a fun trip. I love the picture with Grandma Rollins. I love using blogging as a journal.

Seth and Julie said...

I was thinking that was a long drive to Utah for you but then I remembered that you are in WY now. I keep forgetting that! How awesome to be within driving distance to Thor and Jordan.

As for the journaling lesson, that is what I taught about in YW on Sunday. I kind of got sick of the blog awhile ago but that is the one reason why I still do it. My kids love to read old posts and even I find stuff that I had forgotten about when I look back. Maybe one day I will switch to a more private journal but I am afraid I wouldn't keep up. Having an audience keeps me accountable to keep up to date. I look forward to more posts from you.