Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Kid Worry

Have you ever looked at your kids and tried to imagine what they will be like when they are teenagers?  Or even into adulthood?  I do this all the time, and sometimes I get really scared for the future.  How can you alter something that seems so inbred into their personality?  And I also wonder at how different each little soul is.  And how stressful to know you have to basically raise each one differently?  You don't go into motherhood thinking each one will require different degrees of attention and punishments.

Lets just start with Hailey.  She really is such an easy going kid.  I am still having a hard time figuring her out.  She is in the cute stage where even the naughty things are cute.  They always grow out of this stage, but for now I am just enjoying it.  Corey and I rarely get steaming mad at her.  So when we do raise our voice (especially daddy) she cries like a banshee and runs into her room.  She does have a hard time knowing what no means and will test the limits.  But point in fact the whole family spoils her and loves her.  She really has brought so much unity to our brood.



Aww yes Lexie girl.  She has some major attitude.  I know girls are girls and drama is always on the menu but still she is a little extreme sometimes.  She plays up everything as being 100 times worse than it really is.  And to tell you the truth she has been grounded more than all the other kids combined.  I think I have a hard time because she requires so much attention.  My mom tells me I was like this and I could be exhausting.  I guess what goes around comes around.  She is a work in progress for me.  I should have the patience of a saint by the time she is in college.  But she has a kind heart and loves to do things for others.  She is always aware of peoples feelings and that is a beautiful quality to have.


(insert heavy metal music here) presenting our wild crazy man of the house.  From birth he has been just extreme.  He walked at 9 months and hasn't stopped since.  This kid is so defiant and the worst part is he really doesn't care that much if he gets caught.  I am already having to ground him for swear words when he gets upset.  He hates to be bad at something and will either quit or be really good at it and rub it into everyone face.  Soccer this year was interesting.  He made sure everyone knew if they were not doing their part.  He is the hardest to punish because he just doesn't care.  But he is hardcore for everything and that also means the good.  He is a hard worker and will go above and beyond the other kids.  He loves me ALOT and I know this by his gestures and the kind and loving notes he will write me.  He is a closet lover and doesn't want anyone to know what a gentle and loving heart he has.  He may not love everyone but if he ends up loving you, it will be an ally for life.  Great potential if I can just harness it in the right direction.


My firstborn and my gentlest.  He has also been like this from the start.  In fact he often reminds me of my older brother Thor.  He feels other peoples pain and he always tries to help.  On the soccer field he is the one who will go and help the opposite team if they fall down and get hurt.  Dry their tears and give them a pat on the shoulder and ask if they are ok.  He has done this every year that he plays a sport.  He is the peacemaker in my home and will settle disputes between Lexie and Gabe which happen on a daily basis.  And he is the easiest one to punish.  All I have to do is talk to him about what he did and even hint that I am disappointed and he gets those huge tears and tells me he is sorry.  He is always the first to thank me for things that I do for them.  I probably don't give him enough attention, but it is easy because he doesn't really require that much.  So I have to make sure I let him know how much I appreciate everything he does.

So what about your kids?  How would you define them?

4 comments:

Jason said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Thompson Family said...

Cute blog Kory. Each of your kids are such a blessing and they are blessed to have you. I love you.

Seth and Julie said...

It has always amazed me how different my kids are and how they come with a personality right from the start. And yes, I look in to the future and tremble with fear sometimes. I have a boy who is sweet as can be and would never say an unkind word to anyone and two girls who think they run the world, especially Chloe who at 4 thinks she can sneak out of the house 20 times a day and then get mad when you tell her she is too little to go out alone.

Parenting is hard! But it sounds like you have a really good relationship with each child and know who they are and what they need so I think you will do a great job with teenagers.

melissa said...

I'm terrified for Paisley as a teenager, shes rebellious and likes to talk back and give attitude. Avenley is so sweet, but she is all drama.