Friday, August 26, 2011

Book Review




The Devil In The White City





I am not to good at book reviews. I never know what to write and how to sound really intelligent about it. After reading some professional reviews I feel like a 2nd grader turning in my book report. But sometimes you come across a book that you find very interesting and you have to share.


So I heard about this book from a lady in a book club I joined. Soon after I heard of others who had read it. It swaps stories between the architect of the World Fair in Chicago and the trials that they went through to build it and the story of H.H Holms the serial killer who lived in Chicago during the World's Fair. I was told that most people got bored with the facts relating to the World's Fair and wanted to skip through to the story involving H.H Holms. But I found both stories very intriguing. I always wonder how people lived and what it was like even 100 years ago. I also love reading non-fiction books because it blows my mind how some things actually happen.


Now I have to admit I was more enthralled with the serial killer story, who wouldn't be. This guy was nuts and it is hard to believe that someone didn't just make all of it up. But I also enjoyed the story behind the fair and how impossible it really seemed and yet they did it still. I really enjoyed reading it and had it done in two days. So if you want a good read with some chilling and interesting facts then this is a good pick. If you have read it or have any ideas about it leave your comments. I would love to hear what other's thought.

3 comments:

Thor'sblog said...

I read this a couple of years ago and loved it! In fact Im in Chicago now and went to the last standing building from the fare. I wish I would have told you about it sooner so you could have read it.

Kory Jane said...

That would be cool to go to Chicago and see that stuff. Do they still have the site where the "castle" was at before it caught fire? Is there any book you haven't read?

Seth and Julie said...

A few people have told me about this book but I have put it off because I don't like to be scared but maybe I will have to add it back to my list. And if you want to see Chicago I am only an hour away and we would love to have you for a visit.