Friday, July 24, 2009

Ah ha moment

Don't you love it when you are reading or thinking and you realize something that has been said to you numerous times? My husband always points out my aw ha moments and says "I have been saying that." I finally got my ah ha moment today and I was in desperate need of it. I think being a woman is enough pressure in itself. You are expected to look a certain way and act a certain way for you to be accepted. Even in my church where things like this shouldn't matter, it is the one point most women decide to hang over and talk about over and over again. I am constantly feeling the pressure to look that awesome fabulous and to be more attractive than I was before my last baby. Not that taking care of your body and eating right are the wrong way to go, I am not saying that. But the obsession over our bodies is getting just down right annoying if you ask me.

So what am I going to do about it? Well I am not going to obsess about everything I eat. I am going to try and eat healthy and make good choices. Not because I want to squeeze in my size four pants, but because it will make my body strong. I will not over exercise and feel like I need to show off to my friends saying, "Oh I went to the gym four times today and ran 8 miles." But I will continue to do the things I love and be active to keep my heart healthy. I think we need to realize that there is more to us than our pants size and how we look on the outside. I have more work to do on the inside then the outside. But it seems no one obsesses about that.

I also read the article in last months Ensign talking about dressing morally. I have to admit some of my bathing suits could be considered risque, and I have put on a bikini a few times. But after reading this article, which was directed not only to the youth, but the women of the church, it made me realize I need to take a closer look at how I dress and what I want to present to people. And more importantly what I want my little girls to think about me and how I dress. I want them to emulate me and dress appropriately. So I did go through my dresser and revamped. Not that I am going to wear cardigans and full length skirts for the rest of my life. As my sister in law Sally has shown me, you can dress in fashion and still dress to our morals.

Please don't think I am aiming this post to anyone in particular, this is just how I was feeling about myself and my surroundings. Now I hope to work on more important things like faith, patience and making sure my children know how important the gospel is in our lives and the role it should play.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your mama agrees! I think that women now days are giving their girls the wrong message. Being healthy and eating right are very important but I think that when we get to that judgement at the end, it will not be our pants size that gets us into the eternal kingdom.

Riley's said...

Hey so i really appreciated your post. Well thought out. i posted back in january about a tough decision i had to make and how it impacted my girls. Read it, I was so amazed that my decisions right now affected my girls so instantaneously. i want to share with you only because it was a very spiritual moment for me along the lines of your aw ha moment.

Riley's said...

it is in february.

Sally said...

It really is hard to be a woman isn't it. I have to constantly remind myself not to go to that place of dressing to impress other people or changing my standards even a little bit to fit it. And you are definitely right about one thing. Modest dosn't have to mean frumpy. In fact, I think it looks more classy than showing more skin.

Seth and Julie said...

Good observations. I totally agree. I have always wanted to workout more (or at all)just because I am vain and want to look good. I have known so many people who are really sick lately that I finally realized that I should take care of my body because I am so blessed to be healthy. I need to take better care of myself to thank my Heavenly Father rather than to impress my neighbors.

I wish Sally would come teach me how to dress cute. She has much better fashion sense than I do.

LoraBelieves said...

After my first was born I had more stretch marks than I could count. I felt terrible about how I looked. Even when I lost my baby weight then, my body was changed forever. It took a long time for me to get over it, but I did. I'm never going to run a marathon, but I do want to be healthy for me and my children for the rest of my life. Sometimes I feel like I'm to homely and resourceful (aka cheap) for some people, but I yam who I yam. I think it's important to teach children good health habits and to strive to be at a healthy weight, especially when obesity and all the realted health problems are so rampant in society. Honestly, I obsess over the inside, but I have found that taking care of my body helps my inside self and my spirit. Having a healthy spirit is MOST important, but if we neglect our bodies, over time, our spirits won't have a happy place to live in.

Anna Min said...

Interesting that it was this week I was running and found myself asking why am I doing this? I mean, really, why do I take the time to work out when time to myself is so limited? Why did I care about being in shape? I quickly and honestly answered myself...I want to keep up with my kids. I want to be able to teach them how to enjoy hiking, biking, sports, even running...just getting out and using this body God gave us...and I can't if I'm outta breath after 100 yards of anything. I like watching volleyball and then having the umph myself to get out and play. There is joy in exercise.
Thanks for the blog...just thought I'd go on and on and on...:)

The Thompson Family said...

I love you Kory Jane :-) Enough said.